March 12, 2020
The most successful people are usually readers and NOT television watchers. If the average American replaced just half of their television time each day with reading, they would be miles ahead. The average person spends 4 to 6 hours a day in front of a screen not working.
Dale Carnegie said, “If you spend one hour a day on something, within one year you will be proficient at that subject. If you continue, within three years you will be an expert at that subject.”
Reading is one of the most powerful habits that you can practice. Reading and listening to audiobooks is more relaxing than watching television and can enrich your life in ways that will amaze you. How many people learned something through reading that later changed their lives?
- The Wright brothers read extensively about birds and flying before ever building their famous airplane
- Barack Obama credits reading with helping him survive the stress of being President.
- Bill Gates is an avid reader. He claims to read for one hour every day. If he can do it surely you can do it.
- Warren Buffet says that all he does every day is go to his office and read.
- Tony Robbins says that at one point in his life he felt he knew it all. Then he realized that if he read a book and learned just one thing, it was worthwhile. So today, Tony Robbins reads.
Here are three tips for reading a book:
- Pick a book on a subject that interests you.
- Pick a time of the day when you want to read.
- Spend just one hour a day reading. Some people chose to read just 20 pages a day which means that they finish a two hundred page book in just ten days. Others read just one complete chapter a day which means they finish a book in less than a month.
Be careful when you read, it will become enjoyable and you will become smarter.